Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Jakarta Shopping

The main extra curricular activity of the middle and upper class Jakarta people is "hanging out at malls". Hanging out at the mall has become the main activity of entertainment during the last 20 years. I cannot remember that is was such a big deal back in 1987. coming back to this island nation every decade I've noticed a clear increase in popularity of this "entertainment".

Since I'll be spending some time in Jakarta this time around I've decided to write a small guide on the "Malls" and other shopping areas in Jakarta. I'm no expert in shopping, specially not compared to my local friends when it comes to hunting down those bargain prices. Malls in Jakarta vary a lot and are not the same despite what a heap of travel guide say. There are bargains to be made, there are great fun to be had but you do need to visit the right place for your taste.



Living a stone's throw away from it, I've taken a walk or two in it. This is more or less the epiphany of an upper class shopping center. This is where you find you nice cars, brand boutiques and "I pay so I feel rich" restaurants.
It's connected to the Ritz-Carlton hotel and like all malls it's easily accessible by Taxi.

There are NO good deals to be found here. It is very clean and calm. I would not recommend you to go here for a good time unless you like walking around in expensive boutiques and paying generous amount for simple things and a good helping of status. Which a surprising amount of Indonesian people do.



View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment