Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Bucket and the Poo

I don’t get it. What's the deal with having a bucket of water to flush with. Ok, I'm not talking about in general. I get it, Thai people and most of Asia flush and wipe this way. My question is how you use it effectively on an on-board European bus toilet. Seriously there is no room what so ever and that damn bucket is taking up the whole floor space. Managing to elevate myself by putting my legs on the walls, I finally take a long needed leak into the already clogged toilet filled with brown water.
Needless to say it didn’t flush either.

And so begins my fist post on yet another blog in the vast sea of blogs. Don't know if this one will be any different. It is to me at least, since it's telling my story.

From Filip Marzuki


So who am I?
Hopefully you’ll find out bit by bit reading my notes from across the globe. But the general theme of this blog is life while traveling. Traveling is definitely one of my big passions and I’ve decided to take yet another year traveling the globe. My current location is the holy land of Swedish backpacker pilgrims, Thailand.

Just left the northern city of Chang Mai where I hung out with my younger cousin and her friends. Around Chang Mai lay many of the attractions drawing in crowds of travelers to Northern Thailand. Elephants, monkeys, tigers, tribal people and beautiful nature are just some of the lures up North.

From Life On the Go


Personally I can't stand what they put the monkeys and the elephants through so I decided not to visit. But then again I don’t know if it that much worse than what the tribal people experience being looked at and getting their pictures taken all day, like a human zoo. Being a people person, I couldn’t resist going though. I'll just have to deal with myself and my philosophical inconsistency.

Other than traveling I do have a weak spot for gadget and high tech solutions so I think I'll put in a good word for this app I’ve found to be quite useful.
Mapdroyd http://www.mapdroyd.com/
Using build in features like GPS, wifi and mobile networks the default applications don’t allow for offline usage. Rendering them useless with no data roaming, which is usually ridiculously expensive abroad. Abroad is after all where you need the GPS the most..
Anyway Mapdroyd lets you download maps for free and enables you to use your GPS totally offline and much more power efficient than Google maps, for example.
It's simply a great tool for anyone with an android phone with GPS. Make sure to download the maps before you go for a faster download.

Stay tuned for more information about maggots and ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment