Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Everything

Little over a month ago me and a few close friends of mine, we'll call them Simon(ancient friend) and Michelle(girlfriend) for now, minted an expression that follows: It's cool, I'm everything. It was mainly derived from two things. #1 movies and situations where someone has an accident and a doctor says it's OK, I'm a doctor. The #2 reason is that every time you find yourself in a zombie apocalypse and the airplane you're in is crashing because the pilot was turning into a zombie and you had to off him. Then it's so nice to say: it's cool, I'm a pilot. Anyway this post isn't really about that but it is about bringing everything with you as you travel. What do you really need that takes up that much space?

I first thought that this issue was something over-discussed and pointless for me to write about but I just had to after seeing all the people travelling with what I consider excessive gear. Mind you I'm not a nothing mode traveller like these guys.

Being a tech and gadget junkie more than half the stuff I bring are camera equipment, computer and sports gear. This brings me up to a total of one not full 65l backpack.

So what do people with a giant ass roller the size a small house bring? And maybe an even better question: what do backpackers with giant bags and spare bags bring? Did they all do a shit load of shopping to bring back home. If that is the case, where do they put all the stuff when they get back?

One of the sites where you may spot this walking around with plenty of bags is Khao San Rd in Bangkok. So if you're ever in the neighbourhood remember to take a pic ;)


Oh right maybe I should give an update of my situation.

Travelled down to Koh Lanta by now. Will do my dive masters here so you can look forward to some sections on life in a dive shop. But what I really noticed on the way down was a customer service close to the legendary Spanish experience.

The trip down to Koh Lanta from Chang Mai in the north took about 3 days and 2 nights, riding maybe 6 different motor vehicles. One section of the way I was riding on the back seat of a motorbike with my backpack on my shoulder. I call it Thai style travelling. At least I saved some money doing it. Money quickly vanished indulging in food and what not.


I was struck by one of the buss companies that had a little place to wait at during buss changes. Waiting for the next buss I used a wall outlet to power my computer and the lady there wanted to charge me for it. Seriously wtf! And that was the most expensive of my tickets too. It's like they never heard of customer service. Another interesting thing was when one of the drivers decided to drive some kids home, take some laundry somewhere and go have a chat with a friend, all during the time he was supposed to transport us to our next destination. It's like hitching a ride if more efficient sometimes that riding with some companies. Personally I found it so amusing I just had to laugh. The two Swedes in the back of the car that really needed to pee didn't find is as amusing though.

Travelling for a long time and doing dangerous sports like putting my head under, water I find insurance to be more than a bit of a nuisance. I'm definitely of the opinion that insurance is vital when travelling. I remember this one time at band c.. no but once when I had to be checked in at a Malaysian hospital. 80.000 SEK was the bill of which my insurance covered everything except 800 SEK or 130$ which was the price for putting me in a private suite instead of a normal room.

Wanting to dive though which none of the normal Swedish insurances covers I need an extra insurance. Been looking at DAN Europe's diver insurance and right now I'm trying to figure out if it covers what my travel insurance covers too. Then I need to cancel mine asap and get that one instead. Ah well it will all work out.


See you guys next time with an update on my attempt at getting into shape and the island life.


No comments:

Post a Comment