Monday, August 22, 2011

Cultural Overload

Spending some time in magical and mystical Ubud one might say that one really felt the mystical energy vortex that is supposed to be there. That the energies inspired and replenished. For me, this was not the case. Although I did enjoy my time in Ubud, it was riddled with a bounty supply of visits to the bathroom.
It's during these time when the doctor procures you a diets of overcooked rice that one says; enough. Enough, of everything that is supposed to be culturally enlightening.
I've been stuffing my face with western food, bad movies, ice cream and chocolate for the last few days after this. The binge is however over and I've returned to a more balanced diet of all kinds of stuff. I've come to the conclusion that the idea of only indulging in local food soon becomes too much. After all I spend less time at "home" than away. I now dream the sweet, sweet dreams of mackerel on crisp bread, herring and "kaviar" (swedish food).

I did miss most of the kings cremation as a result. Apparently this is an event that people gather for, from near and far. I did catch two glimpses of it over the heads of the crowd which is satisfactory to me at this time. Yeah not the big cultural consumer right now. I just hope this is not the start of a transformation into a Aussie Balinese... The Horror

No comments:

Post a Comment