Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Lost flip flops

My first day at the Perhentians was kicked off with a early morning wait after arriving with the night bus from Kuala Lumpur. Price 40 MR
Having to chill out at the pier area at way too early a clock in the morning, there is only one things to do. Find some roti. Roti is a flat bread that resembles naan and pankakes in shape. It also resembles croasants in the way the dough is prepaired. What I am refeering to is when you fold the dough and laminate it with layers of fat each time. Obvilosly it's not ready untill it's properly fried. It's not bad for breakfaskt and not too unhealthy if you compare to a lot of other western breakfasts. Roti Kosong (empty bread, with no special add ons, observe that it comes with a small side of curry), Kopi Kosing/hitam/tida pake gula (just black plain coffe) and 100Plus, a sports drink. Price 7MR
Roti Kosong is also available in a range of variations like banana, condensed milk, egg and other various things.
Worth noticing here is the way too long name for plain coffe. This is because it is necessary to spesify that it's without milk, sugar and other add ons. So what you say is empty coffe, black coffe and coffe with no added sugar. If this is overlooked you will recieve a coffee containing the following.

  • Sugar 20%
  • Coffee 10%
  • Water 20%
  • Condensed Milk 20%
  • Palm Oil 20%
  • More Sugar 10%


This type of coffe is in all purpouses undrinkable unless you are used to it. Specially on those rare ocasions when the nearly indestructable consensed milk/palm oil mix has spoiled. Yes it happens.

Finally on our way to the islands under a cover of gray clouds I start to wonder if this really is the island life I wanted to return to. Was it all a gloryfied dream that my mind creted to avoid the through of rain and wind every day. After all my time in Thailand did contain more than it's fair share of storms and cold rain. The landing site for our little invasion was a small beach on the big island. Boatride return ticket included, Price 70 MR. Where our little dive shack, (Turtle Bay Divers) leaned against the far end of the beach.









I consider diving here to be ok. Not bad but not great either. The Thai diving can easily compare to diving here. Well not dive factories like koh tao but Lanta and it's surrounding area is definitly in the same class if not better. And from my personal experience saba with places like sipadan is defintly way better. So if you intend to dive Malaysia. Dive Borneo. But for taking your licence the perhentians is a excelent location. Diving the Perhentians, Price 60-70 RM

Day two ninja striked my face with a beutiful sunrise and a sunny day. Having lunch at the little island, the islands dropped it's burka and revield it's true nature of beach bumming, diving and nothingness. As the hour of the retun aproaches I decide to stay here for a while. After all I did lose my flip flops and if I go back I'll never find em. Losing flip flops, Priceless.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Filip!
    This is Dalmar, the italian guy...you gve me your card to get here.
    We met at the Turtle Bay Divers and we did a couple of dives together..eheh I am even in your video for a couple of seconds.

    Nice to read that you keep on traveling!
    enjoy it!

    Ciao!! I'll follow you blog :)

    ReplyDelete